2/19/2007

Just Google it

Looking at last weekend's Dilbert comic strip I was reminded of a minor furore caused by a comment by West Australia's Education Minister last year Don’t learn it, just Google it: Ravlich.
Before emigrating to Australia I taught geography, English and art in schools in South Africa's Transvaal and Natal and, in order to get a post here, had also to teach history (with no previous knowledge of Australian history whatsoever), politics (ditto), law (ditto) and other social sciences. One thing my crash course in those subjects did achieve was give me a better background knowledge about my new country than many Australians. When I decided to leave teaching and obtain my Librarian's diploma some of that knowledge stood me in good stead as my first position was in a law library. I doubt if I could have swung that by a reliance on Google.

No comments: